Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bookish Mom reviews Thou Shalt Not Whine...The Eleventh Commandment

I just came across this lovely review from The Bookish Mom that I would love to share with my fellow bloggers.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2008
Thou Shalt Not Whine by January Jones
THOU SHALT NOT WHINE: The Eleventh Commandment- What We Whine About, Why We Do It and How to Stop! by January Jones
(Humor)

As a whiner myself, I knew immediately, when I saw this book available for review, that I needed to read it. I know an excuse is an excuse- no matter how genuine or real. However, in my defense, I do come by the whining honestly. Seriously, I think it's genetic! hehe I'm a whiner, my mum's a whiner, and my grandmother (my mum's mom) is a whiner. Oh, yah, and my girls, they're 3 and 5, have been taking up mommy's whining themselves lately. Oi! What have I done?!? Obviously, you can see why I'd be an ideal candidate to read this book.

Thou Shalt Not Whine by January Jones was both laugh out loud hiliarious and brutally honest. Broken down in to the following eleven chapters, each is perfectly geared towards an individual group of people:

Children
Teenagers
Parents
Couples
Singles
Baby Boomers
Seniors
Women
Men
Best Friends
Grandparent

Each chapter is then broken down in to the Top Ten Whines for each group. (Example: The number one whine for Children is apparently Bedtime [Luckily not a whine I personally have to deal with from my girls- woot!], closely followed by Sharing, and then Taking Turns.) January then goes on to discuss the cause behind each individual whine and the necessary action to cure and stop it in its tracks. Some of the cures come from a rather common sense approach, while through others January gives ideas or concepts that readers might not otherwise have thought of on their own.

Now not all chapters may completely apply to each reader as not all readers will be in the same life stages as other. For instance, I'm not single nor am I a man or a grandparent. However, even if each group isn't an exact match for the reader, he or she will undoubtedly have someone in their life that is in one of those stages. Therein he or she will be able to see how/why those people whine, and also be able to later offer this book to them for their own reading pleasure.

I hope having read this book I'll be now able to more effectively curb my own whiny nature and be better adept at helping my girls break the cycle of their own learned whininess. It's very easy to accept the label of whiner when it's just me, but thinking about it on a grander scale and how my whininess is likely to affect those around me makes me disgusted with myself. Whiners are annoying, obnoxious, and rude. And I'd like to say that from now on I'm going to not be one of the people this book was written about. Granted, it did take me 27 years to perfect the art, so I don't exactly expect to stop cold turkey over night. I will most definitely be taking the principals in January's book to heart though, and doing my best to apply them to my own life.

**I'd like to thank Lisa from Online Publicist for allowing me this review opportunity. So, THANK YOU, Lisa.**

-
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

No comments: